Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A New Period in Life - Tackle It

Today I officially start a new period of my life, "Mother of a Preschooler". The beginning of rising early, packing lunches, getting dressed with a purpose, being on time. These are things that for the last 6 years of my life were reserved for special trips and events, but not a regular, everyday schedule.

I know, I've been luck to be able to work at home, then stay home with my baby, who quickly turned into a toddler. I've been luck even before that to only have one job since college that made me get up before the sun and then I had only myself to get ready, but that era has come to an end. While I'm back to working at home while my daughter is in preschool in the morning, we have to get up early to get things done, people dressed, and ready for our day. The being on time thing is something I've yet to master in my life, but this AM we were the first ones at Preschool and were 10 minutes early.


The motivation for me to get her there at the earliest possible time is so that I can go to the fitness studio afterwards and take yoga and aerobic classes. This is also a fairly new thing in my life. We haven't had a gym or fitness studio close for years, but since our move we now have one just 10 minutes from my home and I pass it each time we go to the preschool. I'm determined to get back into shape and health. I've been putting it off for years and it need to just stop (putting it off that is.) So today I took a basic yoga class that focus on correct positions (sounds easy, but you can't cheat so it is not that easy) and the second class was half aerobics and half ball. Neither was easy for this out of shape mother. I've been taking the aerobics/ ball class for a couple of weeks, but this is the first time paired with the yoga. Wow. But I'm so glad I did and I still get home in time to get some work done.

So as I see it, today I tackled more then these basic tasks, I tackled getting started on a new period of my life. And I dealt with it much better then last Friday when I was just dropping my daughter off for the first time (one day of school before the holiday weekend) and went home to cry.

For more inspirational Tackle it Tuesday post visit 5 Minutes for MoM and this weeks Tackle it Tuesday mister linky.

10 comments:

RetroRugrats said...

Embrace this new chapter in your life, it sounds exciting!

Susie said...

What a great tackle!! I am right there with you. My youngest starts tomorrow and taking care of my health and working out is on top of my list:-) Now, if I could just stop hitting the snooze...

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great undertaking. You will be feeling and looking great.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on "graduating" to the preschool years.

Abby said...

Great tackle, Lorissa! I'm in such a similar stage of life. We can do this together!!

Anonymous said...

That's excellent! Congrats on taking big, positive steps in life!

Giftbearer said...

You have some gorgeous photographs!
The positive thing now is that even thought you have to get up earlier you have more time after you take your child to school to fully focus on your art.

~michelle pendergrass said...

Awww. So bittersweet. My nephew starts preschool today (I have to remember to call him!)

Good luck on the fitness. I know I'm not motivated right now for that!

Sidewing Creations said...

Your words reached out to me through time. I'm 51 years old and tackling my own new era of life. Along the way I have tried to embrace each one with anticipation and joy. Do the same and even when you "go home to cry" as your child tackles new things, you'll always be taking those gorgeous pictures! Last year My daughter married, I cried. I think my son is considering marriage, I'll probably cry. But oh, what beautiful pictures!!!

New England Quilter said...

You are an inspiration for me to make exercise fit into my schedule more regularly. I hope that your little girl is enjoying preschool!
Amy
http://newenglandquilter.blogspot.com/

more great quotes


Don't bother about being modern. Unfortunately it is the one thing that, whatever you do, you cannot avoid.
- Salvador Dali

Living is more a question of what one spends than what one makes.
-Marcel Duchamp