Thursday, April 23, 2009

Route 66 in the Mojave - tell me Thursday


Last Spring our family took a trip west to see the desert in bloom. We also took the time to revisit some Route 66 sites on the way. It was a great trip and I took lots of photos. Last year I wrote a post about the beautiful desert wild flowers that were everywhere.
Yesterday's Wordless Wednesday photo was taken on Route 66 just outside of the Mojave Desert Preserve in a town called Goffs. This small town is kept alive by the Mojave Desert Heritage & Cultural Association and historian Dennis G. Casebier. A visit to the School House during one of their open houses is something I have yet to do, but is on my list of must. The group has not only helped this small railroad town, but many of the towns that Route 66 flows though along with other historical sites throughout the desert.
My photo is of the mailboxes along the road. In the background you can see the train as it comes though. I like the image in black and white too.

Here I'm also including a photo of the now closed Goffs Store building. Enjoy

No comments:

more great quotes


Don't bother about being modern. Unfortunately it is the one thing that, whatever you do, you cannot avoid.
- Salvador Dali

Living is more a question of what one spends than what one makes.
-Marcel Duchamp